Serving : 12 Time : 1 hr 10 min Difficulty : Easy
2.2 lbs(1 kg) small prawns – shelled & deveined
Grind to a fine paste – 6 red chillies, 1 inch piece ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
Mince coarsely together (I use a mini food processor) -4 to 6 green chillies,3 large onions, 1 inch piece of ginger, 1 whole pod of garlic(approximately 10 cloves of garlic)
1 to 2 tsp of chilli powder
1/2 to 1 cup vinegar
1 sprig of curry leave
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Wash the prawns, apply salt and keep aside for an hour in the ‘fridge.
- Meanwhile heat 1/2 cup oil in a dekchi (wok), add the curry leaves. Once they splutter, add the minced mixture.
- Stir fry for about 5 minutes, till a pale golden brown.
- Next add the ground mixture, chilli powder and salt. Stir fry till the raw smell dissipates and the color of the mixture is a deep golden brown. Take it off the heat.
- Fry the prawns in batches for around 1 minute each. Drain on a paper towel.
- Place the dekchi with the masala back on the fire. Add 1/2 cup of vinegar. Let it come to a boil. Boil vigorously for 1 to 2 miutes.
- Add the fried prawns, simmer for around 1 minute.
- Take off the flame. Cool and bottle
- Serve with rice, dal and some vegetables.
- Lasts about a week.