Serves : 12 to 18 Time : 1 hr 30 min Difficulty : Medium
This is a rich moist chocolate cake which tastes great with or without a filling and frosting on top! I baked it today and before I knew it my grand children and their friends had swooped down and half the cake was gone. This in my aunt’s recipe which I started baking when I was 13 and it is almost foolproof. It is a great recipe for large gatherings. I usually serve it with whipped cream or ice cream without any filling or frosting. Delicious!!
1 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups boiling water
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter
2/1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 – 2 tsp zest of orange (optional)
Orange flavored frosting and layering –
Heavy whipping cream
Zest of orange
- Pour over the boiling water on the cocoa powder. Stir well. Cover and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line a spring form 10 inch cake pan base with grease proof paper. If you wish to layer the cake, use 8 inch round pans – 3 or 4 pans which you line with grease proof paper.
- Sift salt,flour,baking soda & baking powder together and keep aside.
- Beat together butter, sugar and eggs till light and fluffy.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and cocoa mixture beginning and ending with flour. Continue beating between each addition of flour and cocoa, till the cake dough is completely mixed.
- Add the vanilla extract and zest if using.
- Pour into the 10 inch spring form pan or divide it amongst the 8 inch pans – 3 or 4 of them.
- Bake the 8 inch pans for 30 minutes or the 10 inch pan for 70 minutes, till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on racks
- Beat the heavy whipping cream with confectionery sugar, orange juice and zest till thick.
- Layer and frost with the orange flavored cream